The blog about nothing

Saturday, September 09, 2006

What do I read?

I usually carry a book with me wherever I go-work, shopping, movie, anywhere. The idea is to read it during the commute, when I am waiting for someone or in any of those "interstices” as Umberto Eco puts it in this interview. However, I almost never get around to reading anything mainly because I have short commutes and I get so mad if am kept waiting that I can’t read.

I have carried seriously heavy books (Philip Roth’s ‘American Pastoral’, Thomas Mann’s ‘Buddenbrooks’) for substantial periods of time without reading a single word. But, I still do it anyway. Much like a boy scout I want to “be prepared”. I used to take a wide selection of reading material with me just to cater to the reading mood that I am likely to be in, even if I know I can read only a few pages. Now, I have at least stopped filling my bag with several books like I used to. I have reduced it to a book or two and perhaps a magazine.

So, people see me, book in hand, and question me about my reading preferences. I am asked these questions frequently and I find it very difficult to give a satisfactory answer. For one, I strongly suspect that these people are fans of Harry Potter or worse still Dan Brown and any conversation with those of that ilk, let alone on the subject of books, might be a little painful. For another, the answer to that question cannot really be given off hand.

There was a time when I read any book that was lying around the house. There were quite a lot of books at home, although, I am yet to figure out who they really belonged to. I do recollect though that many had the stamp of some library marked on them, which along with the name of the library, also included a helpful reminder “please return within seven days”. I should have felt some sympathy for the poor optimistic souls that actually thought that the reminder would be heeded. But, I just thought it was hilarious that not only did someone think that the book would be returned but also that it would be done within the strictish time frame of a week.

Anyway, it was good fun. I read absolute gems like, ‘Of human bondage’ and ‘The razor’s edge’ by Somerset Maugham, E.L.Doctrow’s ‘Ragtime’, ‘The castle’ by Franz Kafka, Jean Paul Sartre’s ‘The age of reason’, ‘A catcher in the rye’ by J.D. Salinger, books by Pearl S. Buck, John Steinbeck, Aldous Huxley, Truman Capote and hundreds more, not to mention the discovery of P.G.Wodehouse, which of course cannot be covered here.

I never quite read any duds, however, I had to wonder why I had read several books by A.J. Cronin and Daphne Du Maurier. The whole randomness of reading the first thing that I could lay my hands upon did not seem right given that there is only limited time and unlimited books. I wanted method and I have developed just that over a period of time.

I read the section on books in ‘The New York Times’, ‘Salon’ and the ‘The Guardian’ apart from reviews from other newspapers, magazines and sites. I don’t know whether these are the best sources. But, they are comprehensive. I am used to these sites and their writers and I find the information that I get to be adequate.The combined reviews are good enough to tell me whether or not I am interested in any book. As biased as reviews are, they can be quite useful especially because I read from varied sources.

Knowing exactly what I want to get out of my reading I can decide what books I would like to read and I build a list (which by the way is so huge that even if I stop right now, I will never be done). For example, I know that I want to read ‘Special topics in Calamity physics’ by Marisha Pessl, and ‘The Emperor’s children’ by Claire Messud from latest fiction.

I spend far more time reading about books than I do in actually reading them. But, even if I don’t get around to reading a book, reading multiple reviews is rewarding as, very often, the essence of a book can be found in the review, which is very useful when it comes to non-fiction. Also, literary criticism is in itself a very rewarding read some times.

I have come to love the methodical approach. Of course, it is much less spontaneous this way. Also, I know so much about a book before I start reading it that there are very few surprises left. However, I do get the most out of the precious little time that I am able to give to personal reading and I am happy.

And that is the answer to the questions about my reading preferences.

14 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger C.H. Foertmeyer said...

You should take one of my books on your commute. Well, perhaps not. If you start reading Taylor Manse, or Hell's Interstate, or Moon Cave, or any of my others, you'll be so engrossed that you'll probably miss your stop. :)

C.H. Foertmeyer

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger cynicalcount said...

WOW Meera , I am sure if you had made such snobbish comment in US you would have been hauled upto court by now. I am sure you mean they are intellectuals and not people with low level IQ's when you say "of that ilk" . I'm also sure you mean talking to them makes you feel inferior when you say "might be painful".

N.Ram once said " The tam-brahmin society is hopelessly snobbish".

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Meera said...

What is wrong with you?!?!?! It is so obviously a joke!! And it would have been obvious to anyone that does not have his knife into the "tam-brahmin" society (your expression not mine), trawling the web for any remark by the hapless members of said community, that can me misintepreted to suit your utterly ridiculous pre-conceived notions regarding Tam brahmins.

I will bet that if you did not have any prior knowledge about me being a "tam-brahmin" (again, your words and an expression I myself would not care to use) , you would not even have noticed what I said.

Please at least meet the people once and see for yourself what they really are like; before you start judging them merely from a few words on their blog. No one is the few thousnds of words that they write on their blog.

Get a life mate! Get a life!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger cynicalcount said...

Dean Jones also joked when he called Amla a "Terrorist".

Anyway, the statement was not made by me. It was by Mr. N. Ram, son of karl marx and grandson of periyar, so may be you should tell him to get a life.

I can give you 1000000 examples but I dont think this is the right place for it. I dont trawl the web for anything nor do I have knife into any community. I had a opinion about an issue and it might be right or it might be wrong and if its wrong then I would be most happy to accept it. You think its stupid and ridiculous , its your view and we live in a democratic country and everyone has the right to express.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Vinod said...

What about Opal Mehta? [:)]

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Meera said...

Excuse me Mr. Cynical, so you thought I was hopelessly snobbish based on one single remark, good work.

Let's go with that idea for a minute. Why do you attribute that snobishness to the tam-brahmness. Could it not be as a result of some other factor. For example, my educational background. Did you even think of it? Of course you did not!! This is in itself is suffcient proof of the fact that you are hopelessly biased. If you were not, you would thought along the lines I have said.

And a 1000000 examples? Does that not tell how riduculously fixated you are?!?!?! Every single thing that you see just feeds your RIDICULOUS preconceived idea. I can actually see that knife.

Yes, you do have every right to express your views in a democracy, but it would help everyone if you used that right to say something sensible, logical and useful.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Meera said...

Vinod, I had no idea that you read my blog! How nice:)

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

cynicalcount:
Wait a minute. There's something wrong in saying that one would rather not have conversations with someone who prefers Harry Potter and/or Dan Brown? Popular they may be, but they're literary tripe. Easy reading without the need for mental exercise.

It's perfectly okay to be snobbish (better known as "having discerning taste"). Get over it.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and I like Harry Potter. Along with Eco, Maugham, Orwell, etc, but in a different way.

I do carry books around all the time, but it turns out that I can't read when I'm on the road or a train, thanks to my eyesight.

I "bought" (the quotes are a whole other story) Opal Mehta. I struggled through it. I would not recommend the pain to anyone else.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Meera said...

Oh no! This is all needlessly harsh! I am sorry Mr. Cynicalcount.

May be some personal experience causes you to feel this way. For all I know, it could be perfectly reasonable too. I merely urge you to not be too biased, that is all.

I like Harry Potter and what is wrong with Dan Brown. I just think they are just a bit excessively and annoyingly popular though!

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger cynicalcount said...

Sumant : I think you are getting confused. I never said dont have conversations with those who read Brown or Potter. For all I care, it doesnt matter what one reads in the first place. You should address your comment to Meera who thinks reading Brown, Potter or anyother popular ones is for the hoipolloi. I dont want to explain in which context I said snobbish since that would mean taking up a lot of space out here and I dont think Meera would prefer that.

Murali : I am so delighted that finally someone has made a diagnosis and given a remedy too. How wonderful! I will be eternally grateful sir for your kind and generous offer.

Meera : Lets AGREE to DISAGREE.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Meera said...

Cynical, to think I actually felt bad about the things being said to you!! You are a colossal jackass. Nothing that can be said to you is very nearly bad enough. I have rarely seen someone who is so full of crap.

Hoipolloi?!?! How dare you even use such a word?!?! You sir, might think like that, because only you are talking about it. I have never felt so mad in my entire life as I have at your completely random, arbitrary, knee-jerk, biased, stupid, baseless, judgemental, offhand remarks.

But I do agree that it doesn't matter what one reads in the first place. It is too trivial.

Let's also agree that you do me the kindness of not reading my blog and if you extend it to all bloggers it would be happy day for the world of blogging.

Rest assured, the worst thing in the world is being a cynic and you add your own brand of sheer horror to it by actually seeking out people and needlessly maligning them. What a person!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Meera said...

Cynical, you actually went to the trouble of creating a fake ID to leave that above silly comment!!

You are TRULY pathetic. And I have no further intention of wasting my time on a sorry creature like you. Please feel free to use either stupid ID to say anything you like.
I hope neither me nor anyone else will respond.

I still can't believe you are so lame as to have done something like this!

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Cuckoo Susan James said...

Hey Meera, you smart girl! You found out tis guy, eh. You would make a good journalist!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home