The blog about nothing

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Decisions, decisions

I have a simple and effective way of dealing with problems. I don’t. I just put away the nagging problems that I cannot face up to, issues that I cannot deal with, problems and issues- big and small- into boxes, close the lid gently but firmly and toss them into the attic of my brain. I then carry on with my life as usual. I, of course, have every intention of going back and opening the boxes when am nice and ready to deal with things.

There is a box in my hand right now. It is not a small one. It is not even a mid-sized one. In fact, it is a giant sized box filled with many crazy memories collected over a long period of time. I look at it and wonder what I should do. I try to think about the stuff inside it. I try to list out my options in dealing with them and the consequences of pursuing each of these options. Not very many of them end well. Some do. Therefore, the odds of a happy ending are low.

I draw out a mental ‘decision tree’. There are no easy decisions here even after all the hard work…. I look at the branch on the decision tree that says, “Do nothing”. It does look attractive and simple.

My hand reaches out for the lid on the box. It would be very simple to just close the box. Like I always have so far.

But, the attic is getting crowded with unopened boxes, all jostling for space. It looks like there is very little room in there. If I put in one more box, the whole space could explode, throwing the issues out into the wide-open…vast numbers of them, all suddenly demanding my attention at the same time. I could physically picture the explosion and a million boxes scattered all over the place. Issues creeping out of them …menacing little things, with lives of their own, roaming all over my head at their own free will causing pain, trouble and anguish.

It is time to open a box…

Or at least not close the one in my hand…

8 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Vetti Guy said...

I wonder if we can really put any problem away in the recesses of our mind and carry on as if it did not exist.....by its very nature, the mind cannot CONSCIOUSLY ignore or suppress anything that disturbs it.......sometimes it happens by itself till we get reminded about it accidentally. Trying actively to not deal with a problem....i wouldn't know how that works :-))

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Meera said...

VG, it is just how you "actively" try and avoid work in any shape and form:). It is on your mind, but it is not like you have ever done anything about it. Or ever will.

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger cynicalcount said...

Hmm...upgrade into a warehouse that is what I did. As you said Attic is becoming small and that is because its meant for kids in the age group of 10-15. One should keep on upgrading , like in a virus updation.

Wastrel : Please show me the black bottomless hole you mentioned , I would be grateful.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger King Julian said...

Sounds rather Kafka-esque, if I may :) Somehow the boxes in the brain stuff made me remember Being John Malkovich!

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Meera said...

And that's not a bad thing, is it? I am just going to take it as a compliment:)

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Douglas Adams created this creature called the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, which believed that if it could not see you, you couldn't see it either. Maybe the box is something like that. If you ignore it, it will ignore you right back.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Vetti Guy said...

Can we expect an update over the weekend? :)

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Meera said...

How can I? When am holding my breath awaiting the 'COTW' announcement;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home