The blog about nothing

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Wednesday

I can’t remember the last time that I did something that really mattered.
I can’t remember the last time that I did something.
I can’t remember the last time.
I can’t remember.
I can’t.

8:48 a.m. is the threshold time. The alarm has been ringing, at 5-minute regular intervals, for quite some time now. All that does not matter any more. This is the absolute latest that I have to get out of bed. I would have the luxury of not having to do six tasks at the same time if I had responded to any one the prior alarm rings. Who needs such luxuries? Every moment of being able to actually avoid starting the day seems precious in itself.

9:34 a.m. I push the heavy frosted glass door open and get sucked into a maze of non-ergonomic furniture, demanding clients, crashing computers, harsh lighting, over sweetened weak tea, faux coffee, sixty three phone calls that offer me loans- insurance- free –credit- cards- broadband –Internet- connections-club-memberships and much more, moments of
boredom,
concentration,
thinking,
forgetting,
remembering,
working,
feigning,
stalling,
trying,
succeeding,
failing,
occasional bursts of intense frustration and
rare moments of satisfaction.

7:00 p.m. I am chilled to the bone from the excessive air-conditioning and bleary eyed from having stared at a computer monitor unblinkingly. For most of nine and a half hours. And some more of the vital life force that keeps me alive has been inexorably squeezed out. At the current rate of squeeze out, I wonder how long before it is all squeezed. It is too late in the day for advanced mathematics.

8: 53 p.m. Still, a little more than three hours of my “own” time left. I lie comfortably numb in front of the television-VH1 in very low volume- and revel in the freedom to any absolute thing. Except that I seem to have lost the power to move my limbs. Out the corner of my eye (I roll my eyeballs, it is too much work to turn my head) I can see a stack of books.
The corrections-Jonathan Franzen
Gilead –Marilynne Robinson
Argumentative Indian-Amartya Sen
Aunt Julia and the scriptwriter-Maria Vargas Llosa
The global Soul-Pico Iyer
They all look so inviting. I try to move my aching limbs to reach to one. I try really hard.

8:55 p.m. I don’t think I can reach the books.

8: 57 p.m. Three minutes to Grey’s anatomy. Story of a group of surgical interns-including an ex-underwear model as a current struggling intern and we get to see the back story visually-working gazillion hour shifts, yet, somehow looking like highly paid TV stars working on their acceptance speech for the Emmy award for best ensemble cast in a drama series. Who can watch something so cheesy?

8:59 p.m. The remote is practically in my hand. Switching from channel 72 to channel 14 seems within the realm of possibility for aching limbs.

9:04 p.m. The horrible betrayal of having traded Amartya Sen for Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey-not cute as is being widely claimed- is sending waves of guilt raging through my entire body.

9:12 p.m. It may be cheesy. But, this soundtrack is really good stuff. I must hunt this title track on the net tomorrow. Did Ellen Pompeo get an Emmy for this?

11:48 p.m. God, these Friends reruns are still so funny.

12:10 a.m. I can't remember the last time that I did something that really mattered.

12 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger Vetti Guy said...

Who is to say what really matters and what doesn't in existence?

The odd thing is that when we were children, we did all sorts of "useless" things the whole day - collecting pebbles,eating toothpaste,fighting over trifles - but we never asked if it all really mattered.It didn't even occur to us.

But now that we have grown up all ambitious and businesslike, we wonder if it all means anything at all( in spite of having a big degree and a high paying job and so on).

Maybe there is a lesson for us here...

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger cynicalcount said...

Vetti guy has put it very aptly. Also, I feel that this is a problem which afflicts those who have a high paying job which makes them work for 10 or 12 hours.

Just go with the flow , sometimes we try to find meaning of every single thing we do and it is a myth i think that everything in this world has reason. There might be millions of people who would give their arms and legs to be in our position. Think of them and enjoy life as it is.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Meera said...

"I" can say what really matters and what does not in "my" life.

We are "not" children, we are adults. We are expected to be at least slightly more thinking individuals than three year olds.

Each person has his own way of looking at life. I am sure each is as good as the other. To some, "the unexamined life is not worth living". That is just who they are.

Life is not about degrees and jobs, it is about knowing your true "potential" as a person and wanting to live upto it. I don't think I am doing that and , very rightly, I think I am not entirely happy about that.

That does not mean I am not happy at all, and "vetti guy" what is with the comment?! You know me!!!!:)

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Rohit Wason said...

Your lines seem strikingly similar to mine :)

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm guilty of watching Grey's Anatomy. Patrick Dempsey aggravates me, but I'll settle for Katherine Heigl. The girl has some attitude. Maybe I shouldn't admit that I used to watch Roswell as well.

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger King Julian said...

One of my old roomies had once said (in one of those moments of clarity) that the root of this problem is the knowledge bug - once it bites you, it never ceases to itch :) This was in the middle of a discussion spawned by my (ethanol laden) comment about how I'm baffled by (and envious of) so many of my relatives who seem to be perfectly happy in their 9-5 jobs, and don't seem to give a damn about purpose, etc.

His point was that most people, due to outlook or circumstance, never look too far beyond, and they are in a sense the lucky ones. Those of us who have the luxury and the attitude to keep examining our lives and whether we are fulfilling our purpose, are unfortunately doomed to keep doing that :)

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Meera said...

@ Sumant

Roswell? Seriously?:)

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As serious as kidney failure. Or a brainwash. I'm blaming daytime boredom.

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger King Julian said...

OffTopic! Check out librarything.com - cool concept!

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Vetti Guy said...

time for an update

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good one...Thats why i squeeze a drink somewhere so that i can sleep exactly at nine or so. Dont have to deal with three hours of boredom.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

I can't remeber the last day I did not think about how each day of mine is a photocopy of the previous one! Nice post :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home