The blog about nothing

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

A break from Ulysses

Recently, I won a coupon worth Rs.500 at “Landmark” for finishing third in a quiz. This sort of a thing happens to me only with the frequency of the appearance of the blue moon. So, I was delighted and spent it promptly and bought a couple of books. One of which was “The No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency” by “Alexander McCall Smith”.

I know that I will not abandon my attempts to read Ulysses. But, I did not see anything wrong in taking a break and reading something else.

As soon as I read the first few words of the book-“Mma. Ramotswe had a detective agency in Africa, at the foot of Kgale Hill.”- I knew that this is a writer who is direct and to the point. He does not beat around the bushes, even though there are many around which such activities can be conducted in Africa. I could have cried and embraced Mr.Smith for reminding me what the English language really looks like and what pleasures can be had from reading it. I feel like a born again reader.

It is a delightful little book about a female detective, the only lady private detective in the whole of Botswana and the first few cases that she is called upon to solve after she has set up the eponymous detective agency. Precious Ramotswe is plump, comfortable and uses home spun wisdom to solve her cases efficiently. She is staunchly African and proudly Botswanan as is the book.

I would have preferred a little bit more than errant schoolgirls and straying husbands in the intrigue and mysteries department. “The New York Times” called Precious the Miss. Marple of Botswana. But really, you cannot get the latter to go near cases involving straying husbands and errant schoolgirls unless they ended up being murdered.

Nevertheless, this is a good read and I am not surprised that the author has been churning out more in the series faster than one can say Alexander McCall Smith.

9 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger tris said...

What Quiz was this?

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger King Julian said...

Did you finish Ullyses finally? That's one book that I'm afraid to pick up ;)

BTW, have you read Vernon God Little? Would like to know what you think about it if you have! I'm not letting on lest I bias you :)

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Meera said...

Dear Lord! I remember thinking at the time that I read it -right after it won the Booker-that it was the WORST book I had ever read.

Plus, I thought it was fundamentally flawed. The entire time that I read the book I kept going Am I the ONLY person who sees this?, Am I the only person who sees this!?! :)

Somehow, to me, the narrative style-the voice and the language, that is the first person voice, JUST did not gel with the personality of the narrator. It was a big problem.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger King Julian said...

Hmmm... glad that I'm not the only one who has such a low opinion of VGL. I bought it after hearing so many good things about it and was seriously let down. Though the first person narrative didn't bother me so much, I felt that the book didn't have much to offer, and it's really puzzling how it won a Booker!!!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Meera said...

Thank God! I was afraid you were going to call it a masterpiece or something:)

"Project Ulysses" has been shelved for the nonce. May be later.....

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger King Julian said...

I remember shelving "The Tin Drum" after reading a couple of hundred pages... took me forever to muster up the will power to start reading it again, from the beginning of course. Now that is probably the worst book that I've read! (apologies if you are a fan of Gunther Grass - it must be due to my inadequacies in appreciating good prose :) )

BTW, I found Vinod G's and Samanth's blogs through your posts - should thank you for that! Vinod is just amazing - I'm reading through all his old posts now!!! Samanth has a nice book review section.

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Meera said...

Really? I purchased "tin drum" about 5 years back. I tried reading it a couple of times, but figured really early that, at that point, I was not in the right mood to read something like that. You have reminded me now of its existence in my bookshelf.....

That is surprising!! I thought people stumbled onto my blog from Vinod's or Samanth's. Did not think about it being the other way around!! But, yes, they both write wonderfully well. Surely, those are the blogs worth reading.

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger King Julian said...

"Surely, those are the blogs worth reading." Tch..tch... such a blatant appeal for sympathy :)

Anyway, the reason that I ended up at your blog is that it was on the first page of google results if you do a search for "cloud atlas blog review" or something of that sort. Refer the comment under your Cloud Atlas post by a bloke going by the name of Amit Shenoy.

I'm using this alias to mask the fact that I recently started a blog from my friends ;) Kind of like a pseudonym! Will publicize it later if I can keep it going for some time.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Meera said...

Excuse me!! It was no such thing at all!!!!:)

Just my genuine appreciation for a couple of good blogs. Those are the only ones that I read regularly actually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home