The blog about nothing

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

25 July 2007

The Louvre is just across the street and already I have passed it so many times. Now, it is just a building across the street. Ok, I am not yet as blase (as the French would say)as that:)

I decided to spend the day at the Musee d'Orsay. After spending several minutes poring over a map trying to find the way, I threw it away and I approached the hotel front desk. After not understanding the person's instructions twice I decide to simply step out and hope for the best.

The key to enjoying any place is the weather. It was a beautiful day today-sunny, warm and not a cloud in sight; the sort of day when simply stepping out and taking a deep breath alone feels joyous. I have no idea if I am headed in the right direction but it is such a beautiful walk-along the Seine once again-that I don't really care. The true pleasure in beautiful cities is just the aimless walking, slow lunches and coffees and lolling about in the plentiful rolling parklands and greenery. Still, museums must be visited and I decide to ask someone for directions.

This is the moment of truth. The time to speak more French than just bonjour and merci. Now, my dear readers, here is the fatal flaw in trying to speak the dubious French learnt at the 'Alliance Francaise' ten years back. They reply in French and I don't understand it at all! So, after the first failed attempt at asking for instructions, I tried a new strategy of speaking first in French, but subsequently verifying their response in English. This is a happy compromise between just thrusting English upon these delightful people but then managing to find out what I want to.

At the Musee d' Orsay, the person at the ticket counter told me that he was born in Chennai (although he did not seem particularly Indian nor did he try to speak to me in any Indian language) and was thrilled to meet me; so much so that he even gave me discount! It was a small amount but it felt good.

I went to a very educative guided tour on 'the impressionists' from which I learned so much that I had to make notes for future reference. If I had not enjoyed it so much, it would have been like going back to studies (although, as an aside, I actually enjoy studying).

I walked to and back from the museum; but even if it was a pleasurable walk, combined with the hours spent walking around the museum, it has left me feeling that my feet are no longer operational(I would not walk this much even in a month at home in Chennai). But, here I am, in a comfortable chair, with a borrowed laptop and the the most amazing invention of late: wireless internet-blogging away. I hope the feet will work tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you should write your own version of razor's edge when you get back! Stunning trip. And I am now inspired to do the same!

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Im interested to know if the "feet worked tomorrow" and what you did on them :-)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger avataram said...

Nice trip. I want more street life though, more on food, cheeses, wine, second hand bookshops, french cinema, music..

and wireless blogging in Paris is old hat. Here is wireless commenting from a ship in Alaska.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home