The blog about nothing

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

“Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind”, which I truly disliked, received an Oscar for writing, original screenplay, (screenplay by Charlie Kaufman; story by Charlie Kaufman & Michel Gondry & Pierre Bismuth). I had been discussing it a while back………

G: How in heaven's name did you not like Eternal Sunshine?!
M: Because it sucks
G: What utter rot.
M Charlie Kauffman is a pretentious son of a what not
G: I am no fan of his previous stuff. I thought Being John Malkovich etc. were exactly that - pretentious. But this isn't. Not by a long, long shot.
M: It is that, gimmicky, acting is weak
M and nobody is called Clementine
M that scene in the bus eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow
G: That's a fairly silly objection to lob at the movie. That nobody is called Clementine.
G And what bus?!
M: that was just in passing
M I objected to the name Joel too when I realised I had a friend called that
M when they meet
G That is a train!
M I thought it was a bus?
M: whichever
G: Train, for sure.
M that is not the point
G: And it's a great film. Really, really good. Not at all Kaufmanesque.
G: Much less cynicism, much more feeling, much less clever-dick antics.
G: And proper interpersonal dynamics...I thought JC and KW were very good.
M: I did not care for them. I did not see why they were in love.
M: But, the theme was fantastic, it had infinite possibilities, I certainly loved the part about wanting to forget and yet quite not wanting to/being able to, should strike a chord in one and all
G: It's No. 32 in IMDB top 250
G Man, I so disagree with you, its a fantastic film.
M: If you like pretentious crap, yes
M: and that narcoleptic “Pope Alexander” from Kirsten Dunst
M: eeeeeeeeeeeeowwwwwwwwww
G: Well, she was actually supposed to be stoned at the time, in case you didn't get that.
M: she seems stoned all the time in all movies
M :I had too an important gripe about its failing on being observant about the human memory
G: What failing?
M: this is hilarious: but I can't seem to remember, I might have some notes somewhere
G: The more it sinks in, the more I'm convinced this film rocks.
M: You are stoned too; it is the medication that you have been on, see it on a good day again

I know that screaming eeeeeeeeeowwwww does not constitute proper film criticism. But, it was so gimmicky (how did I not see that coming with a title like that?!), I cannot help it.

Does anyone know any Clementines?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home